The functions performed by food additive 466 in food:
1. Filler - it is a filling substance that increases the volume of food without significantly increasing the available energy value.
2. Emulsifier - it can form or retain the reagent for substances mixture that can not normally be mixed.
3. Curing agents - it helps maintain the hardness of fruits and vegetables or interacts with gelling agents to enhance the structure of the food.
4. Gelling agent - it promotes gel formation to change the texture of the food;
5. Polish - it is a substance that gives food a glossy appearance or provides a protective coating.
6. Humectant -it is a substance that helps to prevent food from drying out.
7. Stabilizer - it is a substance that maintain a uniform dispersion of materials in food.
8. Thickener - it is a substance that increases the viscosity of food;
Food additive 466 is used as a viscosity regulator or thickener, which can stabilize emulsions in various products, including ice cream. It is also an ingredient in many non-food products such as K-Y Jelly, toothpaste, laxatives, diet pills, water-based paints, detergents, textile sizing agents, and various paper products. The main reasons for using it are its high viscosity, non-toxicity, and hypoallergenic feature.
Food additive 466 can also be used for beverage seasonings, spices, seasoning toppings, breakfast cereals, snack bars, baby recipes, frozen cakes, fruit twists, fillings, bases and toppings, instant pasta and seasonings, ice creams, frostings, candies, cheeses, and cream cheeses. It is also used in medicines, laxatives, and antacids.
However, it is important to note that high concentrations can cause intestinal problems such as bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. So we should use this food additive appropriately.