Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is a kind of white fiber or granular powder, which is odorless, hygroscopic, and soluble in water. It is favored by users and has become one of the most widely used cellulose types in the world with a larger amount. Then what are the specific functions of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose when it is used?
1. Mortar. Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose has the functions of lubricating, water retention, bubble content, anti-sagging property and others, which can help the fine powder in the mortar to disperse when mixed with water, making the viscosity of the cellulose ether solution in the mortar proportional to the water retention, the higher the viscosity is, the better the water retention will be.
2. Printing and dyeing. A very important sizing solvent in printing and dyeing is made of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, which can achieve better protection. The aqueous solution of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose has a very high viscosity and is generally presented as a colloid. Using it on the fabric that needs to be printed can form a better protective layer, which can ensure a better printing effect in the printing and dyeing industry, and make sure that the printing will not be disordered.
3. Food industry. Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is not only a good emulsion stabilizer and thickener in food applications, but also has excellent freezing and melting stability, and can improve the flavor of the product and extend the storage time. Especially for animal and vegetable oils, proteins and aqueous solutions, it has excellent emulsification performance, which can make it form a homogeneous emulsion with stable performance. In recent years, research on the application of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose in wine production has also been carried out.
4. Pharmaceutical industry. In the pharmaceutical industry, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose can be used as an emulsion stabilizer for injections and as a binder and film-forming agent for tablets.
5. Textile industry. In the textile industry, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is used as a sizing agent, a thickening agent for printing and dyeing paste, and for textile printing and stiffening treatment. It has adhesion to most fibers, which can change the bond between fibers, and ensure the stability of its viscosity.Its viscosity stability ensures the uniformity of sizing and improves weaving efficiency. It can also be used as a finishing agent for textiles, especially for long-lasting wrinkle reduction, which brings durability to the fabric.
6. Coatings. Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose can be used as an anti-settling agent, emulsifier, dispersant, leveling agent, and adhesive for coatings. It can evenly distribute the solids of the coating in the solvent so that the coating will not delaminate for a long time. Also, it is widely used in paint.
7. Papermaking. Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is used as a paper sizing agent in the paper industry, which can significantly improve the dry and wet strength, oil resistance, ink absorption and water resistance of paper.
8. Others. Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose can be used as flocculant, chelating agent, emulsifier, thickener, water retention agent, sizing agent, film-forming material, etc. It is also widely used in electronics, pesticides, leather, plastics, printing, ceramics, and daily chemical industry and other fields.
In summary, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose has a wide range of applications due to its excellent characteristics. The role of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose in different industries is also different. The new areas of sodium carboxymethyl cellulose is being constantly explored and new technologies are being developed with an extremely promising market prospects ahead.