Carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) is non-toxic and odorless flocculent white powder with stable property. It is freely soluble in water and forms neutral or alkaline transparent viscous solution. It is also soluble in other water-soluble adhesives and resins but insoluble in organic solvents such as ethanol. CMC can be used as adhesive, thickener, suspension, emulsifier, dispersant, stabilizers, sizing agent, etc.
Application of Carboxymethyl Cellulose CMC in oil drilling, natural gas drilling, well digging
1. Carboxymethyl Cellulose CMC-containing mud can form thin but hard and low-permeability filter cakes on the well walls, reducing water loss.
2. CMC-containing mud can make drill rig get a low initial gel strength, which is easy to release gases wrapped inside and meanwhile quickly throw the debris into the mud pit .
3. Drilling mud which is unstable like other suspended dispersions can be stabilized and prolonged by adding CMC.
4. CMC-containing mud is seldom affected by mold and therefore doesn't have to maintain high pH values or use preservatives.
5. CMC-containing drilling mud, washing fluid and treating agent prevent the contamination of various soluble salts.
6. CMC-containing mud has good stability and can reduce water loss even at temperatures above 150℃.
CMC with high viscosity and substitution is suitable for low-density mud and CMC with low viscosity and high substitution is suitable for high-density mud. The selection of CMC should be determined according to mud type, area, well depth and other conditions.